Toddler behavior modification is so fascinating. Elise started to push her bedtime later and later until she would not fall asleep until 10 PM. That resulted in a 2+ hour bedtime routine and battle and was really wearing us thin. I tried every trick I could find online but none of them would work. Finally, we got a door knob safety lock so that she could not open the door on her own, essentially locking her in. She HATED IT and would beg for us to "leave the door open". So from the first night, that was our compromise...we would leave the door open as long as she would not come out of bed.
It takes her some time to fall asleep and so we can hear her singing, talking to herself, recounting the day, etc. It is adorable. Thankfully, she sleeps through the night and comes into our bed when she wakes up in the morning.
Sleep experts say that 2 year olds should be sleeping a total of 12-14 hours per 24 hour period. I think Elise averages at about 11.5 :) She's always been on the low end of total sleep needed. No matter what time we put her to bed, she will wake up 9-10 hours later. I can't believe some toddlers sleep 14 hours per day....I know some of these kids. Lucky parents.
In other news, we are realizing that Elise is actually quite shy around other people. We always thought she was a super spunky and rambunctious kid because that's how she is at home and around our friends and family, but we learned from her teacher that she is one of the shyest students in the class. I've been driving myself crazy over this, wondering if it is her or the school, and if it is the latter, then I would want to move her. We are probably going to try out a new daycare starting this summer. It is more expensive, farther away, and at a home, but it is with her friend Toby, has a small teacher to student ratio, and is in a mixed age environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment