Elise is going to be a flower girl at the end of June and she can't stop talking about it. I showed her a few Youtube videos of what her responsibility will entail and she was completely entranced. We saw a bride taking portraits in Pasadena and Elise thought she was a flower girl and just loved it She took her blankies and makes flower girl dresses out of them by wrapping them around her (and us).
We've never once mentioned the word "princess" to her and she does not have any princess-y items. I'm not really into the whole princess industry and the kind of image-obsessed complex it creates for young girls. But I think the concept of "flower girl" is basically replacing princess for her and it's interesting to see how a lot of this is just inherent. She said the word "princess" for the time just now and alternates between the words flower girl and princess. If the whole princess thing is something that she is initiating and really loves, then I have no problem with it.
She also has this 100 words book where each page has a different theme (food, colors, animals, etc). There is one page with transportation vehicles and she always wants to skip it. It's so funny how these gender preferences are emerging on their own.
In other related news, I went to a half-day training yesterday on transgender identity and behavior development.
Update: Elise was playing with colored cups and I asked her what her favorite color is- and she pointed to the green and light blue one (yay, those were her nursery colors). I asked her which was one was the prettiest one and she pointed to the pink cup and said, "That one is the princess one."
Where does she get these things??
No comments:
Post a Comment