A few days ago when I went to pick up Elise from school, all the kids were in the playground and one of them came up to me and said, "bird! bird!" Then another boy named Luca came up to me and said, "The bird is dead! The bird is dead!" It was big drama for the kids and they all (about 5 of them) crowded around me to tell me the drama of the dead bird. Then Elise said, "The bird is sleeping in the napkin!"
I looked at the teacher and she kind of gave me a wink and said, "Yes, there was a bird that had to go to sleep in the napkin".
Elise doesn't really understand the concept of death yet. When she first experienced the phone or Ipad power dying, I tried to refrain from saying the word "died" and instead say that there was no more battery and that it had to be charged. Feels a little weird for her first concept of death to be for an electronic device.
She watched Frozen (her first movie) and when Elsa and Anna's parents die in the ocean, she kept asking, "Where is Elsa's mama and dada?" and I would say things like they went on a long trip or other things, but she wouldn't buy it. During the funeral scene, she keeps asking "What is that? What is happening?" I think she knows something is up but I'm not sure when to best introduce the death concept.
Maybe the comments on Oh Joy's post about the family cat Lucy who passed away this week will have some suggestions regarding how to speak with a child about death: http://ohjoy.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/04/all-cats-go-to-heavenpart-2.html#comments
ReplyDeleteElliott goes "Uh Oh" at that part lol
ReplyDelete