Friday, December 7, 2012

Ferber update

Elise at Kidspace today

Night 1: Screamed 1 hour and 2 minutes
Night 2: Screamed 21 minutes
Night 3: Screamed 12 minutes

So, Elise is improving time-wisebut it still remains to be seen whether she will ever get to the point of not crying.  She is still screaming in a way that she never did with the gentler method.  The main reason why I am even doing Ferber is because she would always cry 5-10 minutes with the gentle method.  Elise is such a laid-back baby and rarely cries in general, and so when she does cry at bedtime, I take it very seriously.  I've been communicating with the sleep consultant, and it sounds like a small percentage of babies always cry 5-10 minutes before naps and bedtime no matter what.  I'm pretty sure Elise falls into this category given her temperament.  She is SUPER attached, never plays independently, doesn't even like it when I walk away from her to go to the couch, and just doesn't like being alone in general. 

I'm part of a facebook December 2011 mom's group and there are a few other babies who are also like this, but their moms just leave them to cry every time.  I don't think I could do this.  I know that Elise is generally in distress by the way she is crying.  I still feel so much sadness over the first night, where she threw up while screaming and falling asleep while standing against her crib.  :(   Anyway, here's hoping the next few nights show improvement.  But if it doesn't work, we're willing to to adapt to her sleep needs.

1 comment:

  1. we are finished sleep training him and it went really quick but elliott still cries to some degree every time i put him down. It's never long though. For the past couple weeks he only cried MAYBE a couple minutes and they are very weak cries, but then falls asleep super quick like clockwork. if he really screams then you know there's something he needs, usually he's hungry still. the throwing up is so sad, i would be so alarmed too, that would be hard! i hope the improvements are a sign of permanent changes to come for you guys!

    ReplyDelete