Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Always need to be ON

Elise had her first ballet over the weekend (after much begging) and she loved it!  She was REALLY shy in the beginning and sat a little separated from the rest of the group.  I sat down with her at one point and she got embarrassed and told me to go back to the parent area, haha.  She eventually warmed up to it and towards the end of the class, they had a little ballerina obstacle course.  Every time each kid completed a task, all the parents clapped.  Elise did a great job and there's a video on our flickr.  Anyway, Bry and I drove separately because he had to leave early to help with something at church.  While I was driving with Elise, I asked her if she liked her class and she immediately said, "Dada didn't clap for me" and was pretty bummed.  I told her that he did clap for her and she said, "No, I looked at him and he didn't clap for me."  I, of course, had to assure her that he did and Bryant later told her, too.

It's incredible that even at such a young age, parental approval can be so crucial.  I think we can all remember a time when we were at some kind of performance or event when we looked for our parents in our nervousness.  We just realized that we always have to be ON in showing her our support, even if it means clapping and smiling at every appropriate moment in a ballet class. 

This little girl!  She still feels like a baby to me and amazes me everyday with the things she says and does.  Parenting is so much better, more satisfying, and more rewarding than I could have ever imagined.  She's such a happy kid with a sweet and laid-back disposition.  Words to describe her at 20 months: happy, spunky, creative, funny, curious, thoughtful, and opinionated.  True to her baby self, she does not like to be alone and still does not like to play independently.  I never see her living alone as an adult, haha.  She still crawls into our bed most evenings while we're asleep and as soon as she wakes up, she cuddles us and tells us she loves us over and over.  It's too much cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment