Monday, May 27, 2013

The Bedtime Routine

As Elise is able to communicate her thoughts more clearly, bedtime is getting more and more interesting!  If she wants to delay, she says she went poo-poo or asks for water or her bunny.  If she has a lot of energy left, she insists on getting down, then runs around to the foot of the bed, uses the little trash can to climb up, and crawls across the bed, over me (Bryant), and repeats.

We mostly read books and sings songs, and she has names for a lot of the books and songs now, so I don't get to pick anymore!  If she doesn't like what I am reading or singing, she will definitely let me know.  If I turn off the light before she is ready, she passionately says "Yite!  Yite!" to get me to turn it back on.  When she does get sleepy, she is more aware of it than before.  When she is ready to go to bed, she will say that "Yeah," I can turn the light off, and she says "night-night" and puts her head on her pillow.  Sometimes she wants to put her bunny "night-night" too. She will put him on his back on the pillow and pats his tummy and says "night-night."  She still usually rolls all over the bed for another 10-15 minutes, but eventually falls asleep, usually leaning back against me.  Usually she falls asleep more quickly when I sing her hymns.

Elise loves the picture Bible that Nana and Grandpa gave her.  Last night, I read it twice, and she wanted more, but I was too tired.  She loudly shouted "Bah-bull!  Bah-bull!"  for five minutes.  She likes all the  animals, trees, stars, and people that she can point to and name.  I think Margaret was cracking up in the other room that Elise was upset at me for not reading the Bible to her enough times.

I treasure these times of putting her to bed, even though it takes awhile sometimes.  She says "Dada" and points to me a lot, leans in for random kisses, giggles a lot, and gives me tons of smiles.  She is growing up so fast!  I feel like she has a whole new level of personality and sense of humor since about a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment